Within 24 hours of Missouri voters approving Amendment 2 – Medicinal Marijuana, Nolan Law Firm received two calls from people wondering what happens now for people with possession charges and how long it would take to get a medical marijuana card.
If you have pending marijuana charges
Nothing had changed. Yet. If you get caught with marijuana you could face jail time. Your current charges will not likely get dropped. Your previous conviction will not be thrown out. It is going to take at least 13 months to set up the system.
The Timeline for Medical Marijuana
Lets look at what passed and understand the timeline:
This amendment takes effect on December 6 – unless a legal challenge delays that. The Department of Health and Senior Services is directed to create rules for the Medical Marijuana Program. Applicants for licensing may pre-file their application fee beginning 30 days after the effective date. I think this is going to be like a land rush. First in time equals first application considered.
By June 4, 2019, the Department has to:
- Make available application forms and application instructions for marijuana cultivation, testing, dispensary, and manufacturing facilities.
- Make available application forms and application instructions for qualifying patient, qualifying patient cultivation, and primary caregiver id cards.
By July 4, 2019, the Department has to:
- Begin accepting application for the ID cards.
By August 3, 2019, the Department must begin accepting license and certification applications marijuana cultivation, testing, dispensary, and manufacturing facilities.
- License and certification applications must be approved or denied within 150 days of submission.
- Which means the earliest we are likely to see approved providers in Missouri is December 31, 2019.
SO WHEN CAN WE BUY MEDICINAL LEGALLY?
After the approved providers are in place, they still have to grow, test, package or manufacture it. Summer or late fall 2020 will be the earliest for commercially grown medical marijuana in Missouri.
However, you should be able to start growing your own by August 2019. There will be more on that in a following video and post. So to sum up – you should be able to get you application for a medical marijuana card by June 3, 2019. You should be able to submit that application by July 4, 2019. And the Department is required to approve or deny that application by August 3, 2019.
Please like and subscribe to PatTalksLaw